Since early October, I have been working on a test unit in my front yard that integrates geyser pumping with evacuated tubes. I had planned to write a series of posts describing the process and challenges in the chronological order, but instead I have decided to now post the current status and work backwards. My hope is that more of you will share ideas and collaborate with me on the development. I continue to believe that this is an important technology, one that should not die.
This is the second revision of this system. The first required a check valve to limit back flow. I added a vertical loop of pipe on the entrance side of the header to increase the mass against the acceleration of the steam. It worked.
Also, I added a small loop on the exhaust side of the header so the steam would have to push a slug of liquid up the lifter and not be able to by-pass the liquid.
This unit pumps almost perfectly. The only problem has been that every few days it locks up and doesn’t pump. The header reaches over 350F, but it must be completely empty of steam or liquid. The exhaust temperature reaches only ~200F or less. I imagine there is a surface of liquid in contact with the 350F void that probably has a very small, balanced amount of steam pressure that refuses the entry of any additional fluid. If I either add a little bit of vacuum or release some pressure the system jumps to life with lots of gurgling and internal bashing of liquid. It’s interesting also that the fusible plug on the right side of the collector doesn’t release. Even though the header is at 350F, the pressure in the system is only a few psi, and the heat doesn’t reach the fuse plug installed just a few inches above the header.
First Prototype Schematic
nice to see that you are working over new version of cricets.
post more pls.
happy new year!